Sunday, August 15, 2021

"I have only committed the mistake of believing in you, the Americans."

 

FNC

The Khmer Rouge communists initiated their dry-season offensive to capture the beleaguered Cambodian capital on 1 January 1975. On 1 April 1975, President Lon Nol resigned and fled the country into exile in Hawaii; the Khmer Rouge had published a 'death list' with his name at the top, and their forces had now surrounded the capital.

On 12 April 1975, United States's Ambassador to Cambodia John Gunther Dean, offered high officials of the Khmer Republic political asylum in the United States, but Sirik Matak, Long Boret and Lon Non, along with other members of Lon Nol's cabinet, declined - despite the names of Boret and Sirik Matak being published by the Khmer Rouge in a list of "Seven Traitors" marked down for execution.[19] Sirik 

Matak's written response to the ambassador stated:

Dear Excellency and friend,

I thank you very sincerely for your letter and for your offer to transport me towards freedom. I cannot, alas, leave in such a cowardly fashion.

As for you and in particular for your great country, I never believed for a moment that you would have this sentiment of abandoning a people which has chosen liberty. You have refused us your protection and we can do nothing about it. You leave us and it is my wish that you and your country will find happiness under the sky.

But mark it well that, if I shall die here on the spot and in my country that I love, it is too bad because we are all born and must die one day. I have only committed the mistake of believing in you, the Americans.

Please accept,

 E

"Man is born to die. I will not move. I shall stay here and face everything that happens. They can arrest me. If they kill me, what of it? I stay for my country."

14 comments:

  1. I hope there all still men like this in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tragically we have created a trail of abandoned friends just in recent times, Viet Nam, Cambodia, Iraq, and now Afghanistan. What shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont' forget the Domino Theory wasn't proved valid unless you count Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos......:(

      Delete
  3. Promised to take the Vietnamese who were desperate but were
    left behind to be tortured/indoctrinated by the N. Vietnamese.
    Another broken promise for there are many. No integrity or morality.
    I have never read of any outward bitterness but they are human
    therefore, there must be some. The scum gov even left their
    own people behind denying there were any. The N. Vietnamese
    were coming full force and the US was desperate to get the Hell
    out no matter what. What a disgrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=38&highlight=korean

      https://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2016/07/over-forty-years-ago-we-deliberately.html

      Delete
    2. I remember reading about the ransom, $3.25 billion dollars
      for the return of our soldiers. The US did not pay it
      but they waste trillons of our money on inconsequential
      trivia. The cowardly, irresponsible McCain, he would
      have been a freebie to return. Hypocrites on both sides. One would
      think having captured McCain would be a salivating moment.
      "Dumb, stupid animals."
      When I read the US gov did not pay the ransom, I couldn't
      believe it.
      Great articles. Thanks.

      Delete
    3. & thank you. https://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2021/08/did-america-abandon-vietnam-war-pows.html

      Delete
  4. "I have only committed the mistake of believing in you, the Americans."

    That quote would be more accurate if it said "the American Government".
    Most of us don't trust the American Government anymore either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for the link to the Air Force Magazine article from April of 2000 on The Fall of Saigon. It filled in many missing pieces for me.

    Miss Emma

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're more than welcome and here are two links you might like. There are many more at NamSouth and FNC.

    https://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2016/03/sally-vinyard-last-american-lady-to.html

    https://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=20&highlight=vinyard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the other links. What you wrote of is very dear. God bless you and your family.

    Miss Emma

    ReplyDelete