Friday, October 1, 2021

When toting guns in high school was cool

 Via John

 

New York City high schoolers used to pack heat as often as they packed lunch.

This month, more than 100,000 city public school kids walked out to protest gun violence — but last century some students attended class armed with their rifles and practiced shooting on school grounds.

Many of the city’s public high schools had shooting clubs and a few even had gun ranges on their premises, according to accounts from the Department of Education and others.

There were at least three shooting ranges in public schools, the DOE said, including Curtis HS on Staten Island and Erasmus Hall HS in Brooklyn.

Another inside Far Rockaway HS in Queens, which closed in 2011, is shown in a black-and-white archival photo from May 1929 displaying a compartmentalized gun range with at least five windows to shoot from and cranks for students to pull the targets back and forth.

More @ New York Post

12 comments:

  1. I grew up on L.I. My junior high had a shooting range in the basement when I was a ninth grader. Thanks to the Democrat takeover of my town and much of Suffolk County, by the following year the range was shut down, hunting banned and any discharge of a firearm within the town’s limits, was charged as a felony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the range was shut down, hunting banned and any discharge of a firearm within the town’s limits, was charged as a felony.

      Crazy.

      Delete
  2. I grew up on L.I. My junior high had a shooting range in the basement when I was a ninth grader. Thanks to the Democrat takeover of my town and much of Suffolk County, by the following year the range was shut down, hunting banned and any discharge of a firearm within the town’s limits, was charged as a felony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to high school in Indiana in the 80's. Many schools had rifle ranges and rifle teams. My oldest graduated from high school in Indiana in 2016.......they still had a rifle range........don't know how much shooting actualy took place there. I do know JROTC did drills down there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 1979 I was on the NJROTC rifle team at Santa Fe High. The range was in the welding shop. 25 yard rimfire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd never believe it with what happened to England re gun rights, but back in the late 60's very early 70's when i was at school (Boys Grammar school, age 11 onwards) the school had army and air cadet force of which i was a member, complete with well stocked armoury of .303 Lee Enfields and .22 target rifles, and at least one Bren Gun.
    We had our own range where the .22's were used, the .303's we sometimes took on army range days, when we were also allowed to fire the 7.62 SLR.
    The intervening 50 years have not gone well, what the next 50 bring is anyone's guess.

    Lew

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was the GA high school state champion for skeet shooting in 1979. I had a Stevens single shot 20 gauge. For the contest we went 78 shots past the specified contest until my opponent missed a shot.

    ReplyDelete