Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Virginia

 Via The Virginia Flaggers

May be an image of 1 person and monument

Did you know George Washington spent his boyhood not far from here? And across that river, he's supposed to have thrown that silver dollar... ...and cut down that cherry tree. That may be so, Mr. Taylor, but it has an even greater significance for me. It's where I met my wife. That's something these Yankees do not understand, will never understand. You see these rivers and valleys and streams... ...and fields, even towns? They're just markings on a map to those people in the war office in Washington. But to us, my goodness, they're birthplaces and burial grounds. They're battlefields where our ancestors fought... ...places where you and I learned to walk, to talk and to pray. Places where we made friendships and, oh, yes, fell in love. And they're the incarnation of all our memories, Mr. Taylor... ...and all that we are. All that we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment