Meanwhile, senior diplomatic sources told The Independent that the U.S. State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi and the embassy in Cairo that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert or "lockdown,” under which movement is severely restricted.
It is also suspected that the killings of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens, Sean Smith, an information officer, private security guard Glen Doherty and one other American may have resulted from a serious and continuing security breach, The Independent reports.
Stevens had been back in the country only a short while, and the details of his visit to Benghazi were meant to be confidential, The Independent reports.
Sensitive documents are now missing from the consulate in Benghazi – some of which are said to list names of Libyans who are working with Americans, putting them potentially at risk from extremist groups, while some of the other documents are said to relate to oil contracts.
As for the raid on the consulate, it was a two-pronged attack, said the eastern Libyan security official, Deputy Interior Minister Wanis el-Sharef. He said that hours after the crowd stormed the consulate Tuesday night, the militants raided the safe house.
That raid occurred just as U.S. and Libyan security arrived to evacuate the staff, suggesting infiltrators within the security forces may have tipped off the militants to the site of the safe house, about a mile from the consulate. It’s a villa inside the grounds of the city's equestrian club. The location of the safe house was supposedly secret, The Independent reports.
More @ Newsmax