Tuesday, March 20, 2012

BURTON: Congress must say go

As the situation in Syria has continued to devolve, the calls for U.S. intervention have continued to grow louder. Recently, Sen. John McCain became the first U.S. official to call publicly for U.S.-led airstrikes to halt the violence in Syria.

With all due respect to my friend and colleague, Mr. McCain, I must categorically disagree with these calls. Anyone who knows my 30 years of service on the House Foreign Affairs Committee knows that I am certainly not a dove when it comes to protecting the national security interests of the United States. However, I have never supported the idea that the United States is or should be the world’s policeman. If we accept that role, we are committing to act and to put our soldiers and civilians in harm’s way where our nation’s interests may be very modest at best.

More @ The Washington Times

No comments:

Post a Comment