Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lake City Florida: The Stars and Bars (Sic) – A heritage that just won't go away

Via Pam


The Chief continued, "The people that I greeted that day were not showing me hatred. What I see in that picture -- The Bible tells me, how can you tell me you love God, who you've never seen and hate your brother that you see every day? When I look at that picture, that's what I see."

The controversy surrounding the Stars and Bars, or the Confederate Flag, is a controversy that has hounded Lake City for decades. The Stars and Bars, emblazoned as part of Lake City's logo, rides on every City vehicle and is part of Lake City stationery. The recent controversies surrounding the City Police Chief and the City Manager have culminated in the Local Branch of the NAACP asking for the Chief and City Manager's resignations. The straw that broke the camel's back, a photo of Lake City's African American Police Chief posing with the Confederate Mechanized Cavalry during the Olustee Festival. The Lake City Branch of the NAACP is being supported in its efforts by the State chapter of the NAACP.

6 comments:

  1. Did you read the banner?:)

    Lake City Florida: The Stars and Bars (Sic) – A heritage that just won't go away

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I missed that one!

    On the web site, I did see a comment stating that they got it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no problem with individuals displaying the battle flag, but when it was a prominent feature of the Georgia state flag, I felt removing it was the correct decision as

    a) the battle flag, while a integral part of the south's history, could not truly represent its residence and

    b) the implementation of the battle flag was a from of protest in response to integration

    ReplyDelete
  4. the implementation of the battle flag was a from of protest in response to integration

    In depth article from 2008.
    http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=2011&highlight=georgia+flag

    ReplyDelete