Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Thank You, Tim Russert!


Recently at LRC, the headline article is by Tom DiLorenzo, entitled “Why Neocons Are Freaking Out Over Lincoln.”  It is a worthwhile read; yet one sentence really caught my attention.  This one sentence reminded me of the kind praise I have for Mr. Russert.  From DiLorenzo:

The neocons are still punch drunk, in other words, from how the Ron Paul phenomenon, during the congressman’s two attempts at securing the Republican Party presidential nomination, captured the imaginations of millions of young people and continues to do so.

 Many will remember Ron Paul’s visit to “Meet the Press” during his presidential run in 2007.  This was just after the two large money bombs, but before any primaries were held.

Russert’s purpose in this interview was the “gotcha,” throwing out statements and questions that were unquestioned in the mainstream – the various myths that prop up the American religion.  Russert’s task was obvious from his method – make it clear to so-called serious voters that Ron Paul is a flake.
Most memorable was the exchange regarding Lincoln:

More @ LRC

8 comments:

  1. Following the links in this great post brought me to this excellent article on the American Religion. All I have is Google+ and so I posted them on it. I posted the Kipling quote, "If any ask why we died, tell them our fathers lied." My father never lied to me, he just sent me to his grammar school, junior high, and high school and they did the lying, and are still doing it. Dad was doing the best he knew and FDR's phony war almost made me fatherless. But this is 2013, not 1943 (the year he enlisted) and I have access to more truth than he ever did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have access to more truth than he ever did.

      Just think, we would probably be in the last clutches of Communism if not for the Internet.

      Delete
  2. A separate comment in case you don't want to post two.
    Watching a favorite show "Person of Interest", I heard Reese (played by Jim Caviezel, who played Jesus in "The Passion of the Christ" and fights the CIA in this show) say, "A friend once told me,'We walk in the dark, but it doesn't mean we walk alone.'"

    At the end of the show, I idly picked up a New Testament and happened to read, "Then Jesus told them, "You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going. Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you may become Sons of Light (my capitalization).

    I call such an occurrence "synchronicity" as Carl Jung did. The Universe says two things similar or identical to me in quick succession. I'm not a fanatic, but I live by the principles of the Sermon on the Mount. You are a Son of Light, Brock, and I have done well to walk beside you (and many other Sons of Light) in this dark world.

    You are the man spoken of in Proverbs 22:29
    "Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before Kings, he will not serve before obscure men."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he will not serve before obscure men."

      Well, you certainly aren't obscure, Sir.:)

      Delete
  3. Repealing 1913 is something I can get behind...and a few years during LBJ as well. And Horace calls it "synchronicity" but I follow Yogi Berra with the "deja vu all over again".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what truly scares the life out of progressives of either party is that there are many who detest being dependent on the government and want to detach themselves of the overbearing, smothering monstrosity that we have all around. They can not begin to understand liberty and they themselves can't live outside the collective. They remind me of foreigners from an otherworld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They remind me of foreigners from an otherworld.

      Foreign from those I knew when I grew up of all colors.

      Delete