Tuesday, September 3, 2013

S&W Bodyguard .380 Iron sight modification“The why and how” (Inexpensive ‘night sights’)

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/sw_380_bodyguard_2.jpg
Via Twynk & Doug

 I recently purchased the Smith &Wesson BODYGUARD .380. The first time I fired it, I found there were two features I didn’t like and I’ve set out to correct them.

  I noticed, when sighting, it was difficult to pick up the front site between the rear posts. The following is my attempt to eliminate that difficulty.

 The second feature to address is the excessively long trigger pull and reset. A modification kit is being developed and should be on the market in September.

First position the slide in the  vise.

Using a bubble level, I insured the  back of the slide, that is parallel  to the rear sights, is perpendicular to  the drill column.

Now I drill a spot, using a small  center drill, approximately .025 deep. Repeat  to other side.

Then I aligned the slide in the  vise to repeat the drilling of the  front site.

The final step is to apply the white paint to the three spot drilled  depressions, using a metal marking soft  point pen.

The spot drill on the front site didn’t show up sufficiently when painted. I decided to paint the entire top surface. The grooved surface were ideal and held the paint well







2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Yep, the sights on the Bodyguard are pretty hard to see but I don't think I will go drilling on the wife's gun. Our usual trick it to just paint the front sight with white nail polish.
    Front sight - press.
    Speaking of nail polish, Sally Hanson clear works well as fly head cement.

    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just paint the front sight with white nail polish

      That's what I did on my LCR .357.

      =========

      Speaking of nail polish, Sally Hanson clear works well as fly head cement.

      :) Still at it, huh? Dixie is using Sally Hanson nail hardener now.

      Delete