Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Defending the Second Amendment

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/12/23/opinion/23egan-img/23egan-img-blog427.jpg

WASHINGTON, D.C. - I do not need to tell you that the Obama administration is doing everything it can to take away our Second Amendment rights.  You may have heard that the president recently signed the United Nations (UN) Arms Trade Treaty, which would seriously impact the right to own a gun in the United States.  This UN treaty does not recognize the individual right to own and operate a gun, paves the way for a national gun registry, and opens the door to additional gun sale regulations.  By signing it, the president has set a dangerous precedent for our nation.

In response to President Obama's troubling action, today I joined 179 of my colleagues from both parties in the House of Representatives in signing a letter stating that we will stand with the Senate in opposition to ratifying this treaty.  Furthermore, we will refuse to pass any legislation that would allow implementation or funding for the terms of the treaty.

President Obama's administration has an unfortunate history of violating the constitutional rights of American citizens, and this is no exception.  His assault on the Second Amendment is unacceptable.  Please know that I will continue my efforts in defense of your right to own and operate a gun in Eastern North Carolina.

Walter Jones

 Thank you for taking the time to read about some of my work for the Third District.  For daily updates, please follow me on Facebook and Twitter. To contact me or learn more about the services provided by my office, please visit my web site.

2 comments:

  1. As I understand it, treaties are not self-actuating and require laws be passed to comply with the treaty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Senate has to approve it by 2/3rds, so unless there are shenanigans involved, it never will.

      Delete