Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Civil War (Sic) in Color for the first time: Painstakingly remastered images of a divided America that recreate era in amazing detail

Via Bob

 Prisoners of war: This colorized image and its original black and white stenograph taken by Mathew Brady in 1863 on top of Seminary Ridge in Gettysburg from the main eastern theater of the war show three Confederate prisoners

Two professional colorists have combined their skills with photographs and fascination with the American Civil War to create a remarkable series of color photographs from the era. 

British colorist Jordan Lloyd, 27, met fellow colorist Mads Madsen, 19, from Denmark when he started posting on Madsen's subreddit 'Colorized History'. 

Initially it was Madsen who was colorizing images from the Civil War era, but Lloyd eventually got interested and now the two work together restoring the images, improving their technique by giving each other critiques. 

Madsen has been interested in the Civil War since he was 12, and was especially fascinated by all the images that emerged from the conflict.

'I love the fact that you can see veins in the eyes of humans born over 200 years ago as clear as day,' Madsen told MailOnline. 

9 comments:

  1. Those are great photos, aren't they, Brock? I spent a good half hour this morning going over them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sir seems like something new comes out every day.

      Delete
  2. Probably anyone won't agree with me, but I prefer the B/W photographs. The colorized ones remind me of movie posters. The starkness and grit of the originals is missing and that's what made them so special. Just old fashioned, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just awesome, it makes it feel so much more real............;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am torn between the original BW and the colourized, much like I generally find myself with a colourized movie. By that I mean Ted Turner ruined some of the greatest BW movies ever made. Some of these WBTS photos have been permanently etched in my mind since I was a child and will always be BW to me.
    The one thing I will say for the colorization,it clearly shows the evil in the damnyankee eyes in a new light.
    I have been trying to visualize the 7 Blackbirds photo in colour Brock and I haven't made that happen yet.lol Whether one likes the originals or the colour better is I suppose a matter of personal taste. Either way it was a most interesting post. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it clearly shows the evil in the damnyankee eyes in a new light.
      :)!

      Delete
  5. oops.I need to make a post script. In regards to my comment regarding Mr. Turner, I think originally he thought he was doing the world a great service with the colourization of classic BW. However, look at who he married; he might have wanted to rethink both processes. Of course that is just MHO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he thought he was doing the world a great service with the colourization of classic BW. However, look at who he married; he might have wanted to rethink both processes.

      Hilarious!

      Delete