Thursday, February 6, 2014

NC: Update On Common Core Study Committee

 https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Tar_Heel_postcard.jpg

Perhaps you will recall that in a recent edition of my newsletter just the other day, I was complaining that the third meeting of the study committee on Common Core would not be held until after the short session, that there would be no public comment taken until then, and that no action would be taken until January, 2015.  Well, I have some good news for you which I just received yesterday.
 
A change has been made in these plans, according to what I was told by committee chair, Rep. Bryan Holloway.  He told me yesterday that the new plans are as follows.
 
According to Rep. Holloway, the third meeting will be held sometime in late March or early April.  It will be entirely devoted to public comment.  He expects it to be a long meeting.  He expects that the date and time of this meeting will be announced at the Feb. 20 meeting of the committee.  He expects that the committee will offer some kind of preliminary recommendation to the short session of the Legislature.
 
I consider this update to be good news of a step in the right direction.  As soon as I know the date and time of this third meeting, I will let you know.  Rep. Holloway did say that folks who wish to speak will need to get their names on the list ahead of time, rather than count on signing up to speak when they arrive that day.  So when I have all the information about doing that, I'll let you know.
 
God's blessings be with you all.


Representative Larry G. Pittman
North Carolina General Assembly
House of Representatives
1321 Legislative Building
16 W. Jones Street
Raleigh, NC  27601-1096

No comments:

Post a Comment