Monday, April 21, 2014

Savage 110 BA 338 Lapua: 1.43 Mile Shot

Via Guns Save Lives


A few days ago I took out the Savage 110 BA 338 Lapua and attempted the 2500 yard shot. So I placed the target at 2530 yards or 1.43 miles away, at that distance the bullet flight time is almost 4.5 seconds! Made a short video that I think you guys will enjoy. Thanks for watching!

I went out early in the morning to beat the mirage, luckly there was very little wind around 3-4 mph coming from the left, I dialed 2.6 mils Left. I had to dialed the maximum elevation my scope (Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 MIL/MIL) had at 27.4 mils then held over 2.5 mils on the reticle to get me to 29.9 mils. The 300 gr Berger bullets with a MV of 2740 fps at 23.34 inHg start to go subsonic at 2400 yards, so I figured some weird stuff might happen. My first shot was pretty even height wise but was way off to the right, the first 3 shots were sighters to get me on target and then on my 9th shot I hit the target, then had one more hit on my 12th shot. So total of 2 out of 12 shots at 2530 yards. 

 When I got to the target to my surprise was a sideways hit. My first thought was that it hit the ground and bounced up sideways, but after reviewing the video I can tell it was a direct hit because the bullet splash in the dirt is directed away from the steel and the impact energy on the steel was the same for both hits, I'm sure if it hit the ground first it would have lost most of it's energy. So now I ask has anyone ever seen a 300 gr berger bullet hit sideways??!! Probably due to the sonic wave passing the bullet at 2400 yards, very interesting. The next day I went out to find a couple missed shot bullets and after metal detecting for almost an hour ready to give up I found one!

This was my first time shooting past 2060 yards and 2 out of 12 isn't real great but satisfying, I bet with practice I could get those numbers looking a little better. I really hope you guys enjoy the video, please comment or ask any questions you may have.......and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment