Wednesday, June 18, 2014

U.S. patent office cancels Redskins trademark registration, says name is disparaging

 

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team’s name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

The landmark case, which appeared before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, was filed on behalf of five Native Americans. It was the second time such a case was filed.

“This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,” said lead attorney Jesse Witten, of Drinker Biddle & Reath.

Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.” The ruling pertains to six different trademarks associated with the team, each containing the word “Redskin.”

10 comments:

  1. Well, they better revoke Cracker Barrel's trademark too. I am so offended by their disparaging use of the word "Cracker." Sorry. Just lost my mind for a second. I forgot that I don't count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn didn't think about that, after all turnabout is fair play. :)

      Delete
  2. It is time to fully embrace the madness of insane political correctness. Now is the time to fully purge Amerika of every injun err native american word in use. It is time to change every redskin err native american nave for states, cities, rivers and every other reference. I am a very proud second generation American. All four of my grandparents were born in Germany and emigrated here as children. I live in Iowa an indian err native american name. Knowing the history of the state formerly known as Iowa it was settled by a majority of German immigrants. I would be proud to honor my heritage and rename the state New Berlin. I grew up living next to the river formerly known as the Mississippi how about a rename to honor the great explorers and call it the Louis and Clark Waterway. There are thousands of such insensitive examples of using non-European names in America and I say it is time for a change…a change we can believe in.

    Badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend who is part Indian says the term Native American is never used by them on the reservation, only Indian.

      Delete
    2. My wife's great grandfather was 100% indian, Lakota Sioux I think.

      Badger

      Delete
    3. That's neat. Do you have any other information? I just sent an email to a friend as it seems to me he had Lakota ancestry also.

      Delete
  3. How about we change the name to the "Washington Commies" complete with a sickle and hammer logo or better yet the "Washington douche bags" and have an old school douche bag as the logo. Did the sanfrisco 49ers mine gold or coal? If they mined coal change it to the "San Francisco dik liks" it fits better and the list goes on..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about Notre Dame? I guess all Irish people are angry little leprechauns?

    ReplyDelete