Saturday, November 15, 2014

Man who murdered banjo-picking Hee Haw comedian David 'Stringbean' Akeman granted parole after 40 years

 Akeman, a Kentucky native, played banjo with Bill Monroe's band before going solo in the 1950s. He was best known for a folksy comedy-music act he performed on the Grand Ole Opry and the 'Hee Haw' television show

The killer of Grand Ole Opry and 'Hee Haw' comic David 'Stringbean' Akeman and his wife Estelle was granted parole Wednesday after 40 years in prison.

John A. Brown, 64, was originally sentenced to 198 years, and the board has denied several previous parole requests.

His latest request came in April. Brown told the board then that he was truly sorry for what he had done.

'I can't undo anything to change my past. I've committed the last 40 years to changing my life,' he said.

On the evening of Nov. 11, 1973, Brown and his cousin, Doug Marvin Brown, ransacked the Akemans' cabin on their farm near Nashville, looking for the cash Akeman was rumored to keep there.

Police said the cousins were surprised by the Akemans as they returned home from the Opry. John Brown shot Stringbean Akeman as he walked into the cabin, then ran after his wife in the yard before shooting her in the back of the head. (Parole?  Should have been executed.)

More @ Daily Mail

2 comments:

  1. Son of a bitch! I remember this. Although I was only 5 1/2 years old I was 7 or so when Brown was sentenced. Hee Haw was a big deal at our house. I remember my Mom was a big fan of String Bean. This just stinks. Dont know what else to say.

    ReplyDelete