Thursday, December 18, 2014

Beretta Attempts to “Win” MHS Contract By Derailing It

Via Harry

 

"The M9A3 looks to be a decent pistol… but our soldiers deserve better."

(Like a .45)

Dr. Beretta, sir, you are a genius.

After delivering over 600,000 M9 pistols to the DOD and on the heels of being awarded a new contract for up to 100,000 M9s, Beretta USA announced today the presentation of the M9A3 to the US Army.

The M9A3 introduces major improvements to the M9 that will increase the operational effectiveness and operational suitability of the weapon. The improvements include design and material enhancements resulting in increased modularity, reliability, durability, and ergonomics.  They are being submitted via an Engineering Change Proposal (ECP) in accordance with the terms of the current M9 contract.

More @ Bearing Arms

10 comments:

  1. The open slide design has always concerned me and Ive always felt the M9 was large for caliber. I do have small hands but still do just fine with a glock or 1911. I never liked the M9 and Im not a great 9mm believer for shtf. Thats just me though. I think Glock, S&W, Springfield or Sig could provide what our troops need. And there is probly a reason that Special Forces is using 45 acp and I doubt its because you can carry less ammo. Big holes cause big leaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said and I have a 21 and a 30. The 21 is a little big for my hand, but the 30 is perfect and of course it will take the 13 round magazine if you like.

      Delete
  2. You can't polish a tird - although it has been tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Can't believe they have been using it all these years.

      Delete
    2. The most practical move would be to contract Glock. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911 but I really like my FNS 9mm- there's equal parts "peace of mind"- the large piece of lead with .45 and the capacity of the 9mm.
      If I were in a 2 hour firefight without CAS, I'd want as much bang as I could stuff in my carrier and pack.
      J Connlllr

      Delete
  3. It's not a *bad* pistol- BUT when I grab one, it needs to be pretty close to where I'm going to be aiming.

    My old B/P Colt open tops do.
    My Wheel-guns do (whether they spin the right way- or not).
    My RIA 1911 Klone has never had a ftf no matter what i feed it. is even better than the revolvers......

    BUT

    That Beretta 92SF.. the safety isn't where it should be and I always have to adjust my grip because it's aiming into the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were not given a choice. I do not have a problem with the 9mm if we could use hollow point ammo, however the M9 is a old design and as a previous post said to large and heavy for a 15 round 9mm pistol. I would much prefer a Glock or Springfield. Both have more capacity, less weight, and no external thumb safeties to slow you down during your draw stroke in a close quarters situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no external thumb safeties to slow you down

      Good point.

      Delete