Thursday, December 18, 2014

Effects of Shooting Uphill or Downhill & more

Via avordvet

 

When a gun is sighted in on a level or nearly level range and then is fired either uphill or downhill, the gun will always shoot high. This effect is well known among shooters, particularly hunters, but how high the gun will shoot is a subject of considerable controversy in the shooting literature. In fact, at the present time some literature has information that is simply erroneous. In this subsection, we will try to explain the physical situation carefully so that it can be understood clearly, and then provide some examples using Infinity to perform precise calculations.

More @ Exterior Ballistics

****************************

Shooting Uphill and Downhill

****************************

Angle Shooting

3 comments:

  1. Holly cow. I have only had one argument with any of my in-laws (they are ALL always right, about everything) and this subject was it. My now deceased older b-I-l was a hunter of quite a bit of success. He deer hunted all over this country and went on 1 safari.
    One day at his dad's he just sort of rhetorically asked me why shooting up/downhill did this.
    I said, to me, it's simple; gravity acts perpendicular to the base line of the triangle rendering the measurement of the hypotenuse moot. So shoot point of impact at the distance of the base.
    My college educated, much more experienced hunter than me bro in law rejected the trigonometry and went all into all sorts of shooting voodoo and tripe. I argued for a little while then left smiling thinking about why I don't argue with the in laws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thinking about why I don't argue with the in laws.

      :)

      Delete
  2. I bow hunt but no matter where I'm shooting the long gun, I bring the range finder for the bow. In & declination are given, pretty handy...
    J Connlllr

    ReplyDelete