Saturday, March 21, 2015

Building a Smokehouse

Via Cousin John

smoke2

When my husband, Kevin, told me he wanted to build a smokehouse, I was a bit apprehensive because I wasn’t sure I liked smoked meat enough to do large quantities for our family of two. Being a homesteader and a Googler, I looked up other things besides meat that we could smoke and found that the smoked flavor adds to almost any food.

So, we found (or more truthfully, stole) an instructional YouTube video that gave us the specifications for building it. The basic cedar house looked like an outhouse with a porch until we added the pizza oven to it. Neither of us had ever done masonry work before, but we designed a wooden igloo form and covered it in the fire brick, then added the exterior pavers, a door and chimney, and we were off to the races. It took longer than we anticipated due to rainy cold weather and our reluctance to make mistakes. Once we saw the finished project, we decided a pizza oven under the pergola was do-ble and soon we will attempt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment