Wednesday, August 22, 2018

[Photos] A Stroll Around 1969-1970 Saigon


Take a stroll through Saigon in 1969-1970 thanks to these black and white photos.

A native of New York, I enlisted in the U.S. Air Force on May 1, 1969. During basic training I was selected to attend the Defense Language Institutes’ English language instructor course, which lasted six weeks. That was one facet of then-President Nixon’s “Vietnamization” program.

In September of 1969, I was sent to Vietnam to begin a one-year tour of duty as an English instructor. Along with my colleagues, I worked five hours a day, six days a week, with Sundays off. Prior to enlisting I had been working as an apprentice in a professional photography studio.

The short daily working hours afforded me the opportunity to roam around Saigon and environs shooting approximately 1,500 black and white and color photos. The film was purchased at the Cholon PX on Nguyen Tri Phuong Street. The black-and-white film was developed in a makeshift darkroom created by blocking out the window in the bathroom of my room and sealing the door as well.

More @ Saigoneer

No comments:

Post a Comment