Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Silent Sam and Me

Via Carl

The radical trash who tore down Silent Sam and those academic idiots who enable them are not worthy to walk on the same ground as Gabriel Jacobs. Silent Sam will rise again, and we, not they, shall overcome.
In September of 1961, I left my job at a basket factory in Wilmington, North Carolina and hitch-hiked up to Chapel Hill to become a student there. I followed in the path of UNC’s very first student, a boy named Hinton James, who had famously walked those roads up from Pender County back in 1789. As befits the first student at the first State University, he did not come by carriage.

My last ride was in the cab of a well-weathered farm truck. The grizzled driver wished me well and let me out in the middle of town. “You’ll like it here,” he told me with pride. “My little grandbaby went here and she became a schoolteacher!”

2 comments:

  1. "To The Sons Of The University Who Entered The War Of 1861-65 In Answer To The Call Of Their Country And Whose Lives Taught The Lesson Of Their Great Commander That Duty Is The Sublimest Word In The English Language"

    These do not sound like words of bigotry and white supremacy. But the actions of those destroying them are exactly the actions of bigots.

    Badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the actions of those destroying them are exactly the actions of bigots.

      Indeed.

      Delete