Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Repost NC: “Let Us Fight Like Men for Our Firesides”

 http://blogs.lib.unc.edu/civilwar/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/18610415_02_SHC_00242_10_2-2.jpg
  
 51. “I was canvassing for the Union with all my strength; I was addressing a large and excited crowd, large numbers of whom were armed, and literally had my hand extended upward in pleading for peace and the Union of our Fathers, when the telegraphic news was announced of the firing on Ft. Sumter and the President’s call for 75,000 volunteers. When my hand came down from that impassioned gesticulation, it fell slowly and sadly by the side of a secessionist. I immediately, with altered voice and manner, called upon the assembled multitude to volunteer not to fight against, but for South Carolina. I said, if war must come, I prefer to be with my own people. If I had to shed blood I preferred to shed Northern blood rather then Southern blood. If we had to slay I had rather slay strangers than my own kindred and neighbors.”
--N.C. Gov. Zebulon Vance, April 1861 on Lincoln’s call for troops 

More @ FNC

No comments:

Post a Comment