Thursday, August 6, 2020

Excellent Battle Commentary: The Confederate Gun-Boat "Arkansas" by Her Commander, Isaac Newton Brown, Captain, C.S.N.

 Into the Volcano with the Ironclad CSS Arkansas | Emerging Civil War
 . . . I received a severe contusion on the head, but this gave me no concern after I had failed to find any brains mixed with the handful of clotted blood which I drew from the wound and examined. . . .

After the Appomattox capitulation, the observance of which, nobly maintained by General Grant, crowns him as the humane man of the age, I took to the plow, as a better implement of reconstruction than the pen; and if I take up the latter now, it is that justice may be done to the men, and the memory of the men, of the Arkansas.

On the 28th of May, 1862, I received at Vicksburg a telegraphic order from the Navy Department at Richmond to "proceed to Greenwood, Miss., and assume command of the Confederate gun-boat Arkansas, and finish and equip that vessel without regard to expenditure of men or money."

No comments:

Post a Comment