Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Hillbilly Thomists

What would you give in exchange for your soul? Bluegrass greats Bill Monroe and Doc Watson asked that question in one of their most memorable live recordings. It’s also the same one posed by Fr. Thomas Joseph White, O.P., on one of the tracks of the first album released by the Hillbilly Thomists, a bluegrass band of Dominican friars from the Province of St. Joseph. Hopefully the answer to that question, if you’re a good, God-fearing Southerner, is “nuthin’.” But undoubtedly I would (and did) exchange $20 to own the Hillbilly Thomists’ recently-released sophomore album, “Living for the Other Side, currently a #1 bestseller at Amazon in folk music.

More @ The Abbeville Institute

10 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed this! I too am looking to acquire their music. I have often thought about joining an Order, but perhaps not the Dominicans. They have white frocks and I would them dirty with in an hour and not be able to remove the stains... I can not wear white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often thought about joining an Order

      If you do that don't you have to stay there?

      Delete
  2. Pretty cool, I saw this on the Abbeville website, I like the music. I bought a couple of cd's from the 2nd South Carolina String Band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and wish they would do Dixie and the Bonnie Blue Flag.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you mean Hillbilly Thomist

      Delete
  3. I started a GoFundMe for the Abbeville Institute https://www.gofundme.com/f/Help-Preserve-the-South. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea and thanks.https://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2021/02/help-preserve-south.html

      Delete