Saturday, July 10, 2021

The Happy Land of Cannan

 

The happy land of Caannan may be a Biblical story, but for some of us, it truly was fact.

Growing up on the land my ancestors settled in the 1850s was a true blessing. It gave me common ground, a heritage, a place and, most importantly, a history. My people were among the first white settlers in the 1850s in the place now known as Newton County, Arkansas. My 5th Great Grandfather and his sons took residence here, although both he and most of his sons would move on South to other locations. My direct ancestor stayed here and fought through the war, survived an assassination attempt, and raised his children here that became my direct line.

More @ The Abbeville Institute

2 comments:

  1. " may be a Biblical story, but for some of us, it truly was fact." All of the Bible is a fact, That army guy....maybe,

    ReplyDelete