Saturday, July 10, 2021

The Warrenton Pony Show: Oldest in America


Cooling down tent.

What a great time the three of us had after I told them I had been the V.P. and announcer in 1961, 60 years ago! I remember that I met a girl there from Richmond, whose name escapes me, though she evidently liked me because she used a ball point pen to write all over my trousers as the two of us sat together which was all the old announcer's stand would accommodate.  Everything else including the stables hasn't changed at all, though the hideous apartments in the background are new. Later on, I was her house-guest in Windsor Farms, Richmond and we got along quite well until she mentioned that when she got married she wanted all new furniture to which I replied I wanted family furniture, the older the better.  Strangely enough our relationship went downhill after that.






*Rice Smith, an old love of mine at her wedding in 1968 at their home Rideglea  Her parents were just delightful and Mr. Smith and I would have Bloody Mary's in the morning in the sun room. We were close and I remember when he congratulated me on pledging KA at Randolph-Macon in 1964. I was a constant visitor to their home in the late fifties and early sixties, but Vietnam interrupted our lives as it did so many. 
*Rice  had two other sisters one younger and one older. Elizabeth the younger one, Rice and I would do many things together.  One day we went swimming and fishing though I don't remember in what order.  At any rate, when I went to change clothes I found a fish in my underwear and always called her 'Fishhead' since then. :) (The hot links tell the rest of the story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment