Wednesday, October 20, 2021

[Photos] A Day Trip to 1968 Vung Tau

 

 Stayed here for my honeymoon in 1969.

 

Time for a trip to the coast.

While old photos of Saigon depict a city that is certainly different from what it is today, there are similarities. Even 60 years ago, the streets were busy, and the layout of central districts was largely the same. Newer, suburban districts hardly existed, of course, but Le Loi is still Le Loi, and the Opera House is still the Opera House.

Vung Tau, on the other hand, was a quiet coastal town, still early in its development, as seen in these photos taken by an American service member named Jeff Lander in 1968. Modern Vung Tau is a bustling place jammed with hotels, traffic and restaurants of all type, a far cry from the rather sleepy streets and undeveloped areas along the water of years past.

Visit Saigon's favorite beach getaway through a time machine below.

6 comments:

  1. I see it now Mr Brock, you didn't enlist in the service for Duty and Patriotism, you went in to find beautiful women...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure my Dad didn't have that much fun in Vietnam. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a civilian in these pictures, but I had a lot of fun when I was in the Army also. What unit was he with?

      Delete
  3. I was stationed in Vung Tau 1968. That hotel was first place I ever had lobster thermidor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could have crossed paths. Thanks Brock

      Delete