Thursday, December 30, 2021

Requiem for Grandma


Growing up on ‘Holt Hill’ in Vendor, Arkansas, I was truly blessed. I had a touch of the ‘Old South’ that I now have oft read of; a true, closed community of my own people who endured hardship, drought and war, and came out stronger as a result.

Of the many giants who walked through my childhood, there is one I feel I have neglected to mention in my past scribblings, one who held the family together through loss and gain, through thick and thin, through hardship and privation and good times and excellent years: my great-grandmother. But I just always called her grandma.

More @ The Abbeville Institute

2 comments:

  1. "Sadly, I didn’t get into genealogy until after she passed." For those of you who would like to get into genealogy, do not wait until, the most senior people in your family are either gone forever, or mentally unable to help you. Talk to them NOW. Bring your smart phone, set it to record and just let them talk.
    I did this with a great-aunt twenty years ago and I am glad I did, as half the entries I have found on Ancestry.com regarding the ancestors she commented on were dead on wrong!

    ReplyDelete