Sunday, February 28, 2016

Ruck Sack Battery Charging System

Via David

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61qxFCarerL._SL1000_.jpg

A reader recently requested I elaborate on the comms equipment battery charging system I carry in my Ruck.

First let me say that the setup I use is not what I would prefer but it works. I would prefer an ultra light weight system that I could attach directly to my Elecraft KX3 and charge the batteries using its built-in battery charger. The radios built in charger requires 13.8 volts dc but I haven’t found a pack-able panel that supplies that voltage. Most backpack/camping panels supply 5 vdc. That would require 3 sets of panels connected in series to get the necessary voltage. So, what I’ve had to resort to is removing the batteries from whatever radio I’m using, and charging the batteries in a charger that’s connected to the solar panels.

My current setup consists of the XTAR VC4 Charger and the Renogy Solar 14 watt E-Flex Solar Power Panel with dual USB ports.

2 comments:

  1. I have a solar charger that will fully charge in about four hours of sunlight and will retain enough power to charge a cell phone twice. I also have a LED light I can plug into it for some major light if needed. Although it will not charge AA and AAA's it is still a handy device. I have been looking at the thermo generation systems that are powered by a campfire, stove, etc. There are several models available, but this is the one I am leaning towards based on reviews, weight, and function. They can be found a little cheaper on Ebay, etc.
    http://www.rei.com/product/872900/power-practical-powerpot-v-recharging-cook-pot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2016/02/power-practical-powerpot-v-recharging.html

      Delete