Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Top 10 CCW guns

 Ruger LCR


Ruger LCR – This hammerless revolver has proven to be a reliable, and affordable, revolver that is easy to conceal in a pocket or IWB holster.  Out of the box, I have found this revolver to have one of the best triggers for a small revolver.

The LCR can be had in .38 Special (+P rated), .357 Magnum, .22 LR and .22 WMR.  For my own needs, I would pick the .38 or *.357 version and carry .38 ammo in it – probably the Speer 135 grain Gold Dot-Short Barrel +P or CorBon DPX +P.  However, for someone with physical impairments, the .22 Magnum or even .22 LR could be viable options.

*I use  .357 Speer 158GR Gold Dot Hollow Point Law Enforcement in mine and there is no problem, kicks and stings needless to say, but no problem hitting your mark.

 =====================

What are the best guns for concealed carry?  Sounds like a good question to start an argument.
The truth is there is no perfect gun.  Every firearm is a compromise offering certain benefits at the costs of others.  Yet, I am frequently asked my opinion on what gun someone should buy, or at least consider, for carrying.

Generally, I try to find out a little more information about the person’s situation and their experience with guns.  Sometimes there will be a wild card thrown in, such as a significant known risk from a criminal enterprise or ex-spouse.  Almost always, cost is a consideration.

So, with all of these variables, how does one pick which guns are best?

Based on my experience and the collective experience of the shooting community, there are certain guns and brands that I remove from consideration on this due to known reliability problems or high cost.

Some of you are going to hate my choices while others will agree with some or even all of them.  Just keep in mind that each person who chooses to carry a gun for self defense has very specific needs.  Just because these guns work for me doesn’t mean there aren’t other great choices out there.

4 comments:

  1. I'll list my personal carry choice. Others, obviously, carry their favorite, and to each his own.

    Mine is old slab sides. I've carried it for fifty years. Reliable, does the job. I never leave home without it.
    Semper Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never leave home without it.

      I bought different holsters hoping that I would carry one of my .45's 100% of the time, but I wouldn't. At least the one I do carry is always on me.

      Delete
  2. I don't use a holster, never have. Slabsides rests at my right flank in back, butt forward.

    When using my H rig with pistol belt and two canteens I carry slabsides in a "US" holster. Otherwise, no holster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is small enough it stays in my right front pocket and it needs one there.

      Delete