Thursday, December 12, 2013

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback 429/375 HP, 4-Speed

S141 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback KK #1696, 429/375 HP, 4-Speed Photo 1 

 Like its 302-powered counterpart, the 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 was named by its designer Larry Shinoda after his friend Semon “Bunkie” Knudson, who oversaw Shinoda’s work at Chevrolet and then Ford, after the pair defected to Dearborn in 1968. In the process of rescuing the new Mustang, Shinoda created the powerful but agile Boss 302, whose improved chassis and styling were the perfect platform for homologating Ford’s new NASCAR 429 “semi hemi” engine. Thus the Boss 429 was born, built by Kar Kraft in Brighton, Michigan. This 1969 Boss 429 is Kar Kraft number 1696, one of very few still in existence that remains unrestored but for a single repaint in the original Candyapple Red.

More @ MECUM

8 comments:

  1. My father had two classic Mustang's. The first was a 1964 1/2, yes the first Mustang it was released in the middle of the model year. This one had the HI-PO 289 v8. The second was a 1971 Cleavland Boss. All I can remember about those two cars was that they scared the you know what out of me when he put the power to the pavement with both those cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the '65 HiPo fastback, 389 gears, 4 speed etcetera. I could beat 325HP GTO's. Close with their 360HP if it was an auto. I actually beat my friend's 426HP Hemi auto once, but the autos weren't much back then.

      Delete
  2. Not a ford guy, but I love the 69-70 mustang fastback. I almost bought a 69, before I bought my 7o camaro 427. It had a 351 windsor and an auto, if it was a cleveland or a four speed I would have bought it. $5500.00 is all he wanted, with slats, front and rear spoilers and magnum 500's. Probably a $40, 000.00 car today, it was mint....○ shaking head ○

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shaking head

      Me too as well as many others. :) My '65 was $2,800 with 5K on it. I really wanted the Cobra, but it was way too expensive at almost $7K! :(

      Delete
  3. A friend of mine had a Boss 429 like that one but in Green (or maybe it was dark blue). In fact he might still have it in a barn on his farm. It was strong but wouldn't get any traction and really couldn't put it's power to use. It would be interesting to see what it would do today with updated suspension and tires. As it was it was good for burnouts and possibly as a drift car if there had been such a thing then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact he might still have it in a barn on his farm.

      Check that out!

      =======

      It was strong but wouldn't get any traction

      Same with my Hi-Po, as you had to get it just right off the line or forget it. Because of that, I always tried to go for a rolling start with the excuse that it would be quieter and therefore not attract cops. I remember once finishing "our 1/4" when lo and behold the Warrenton town cops were waiting as we blew pass, but I guess since we were both doing well over 100, they never bothered to chase us, fortunately. :)

      Delete