Monday, September 15, 2014

Open carry advocate, ‘cop watcher’ speaks out about arrest


This past Saturday, three “cop watchers” were arrested while video recording Arlington police who were conducing a traffic stop, local media reports.

The three cop watchers identified as Kory Watkins, Janie Lucero, and Joseph Tye now face criminal charges for interfering with public duties.

In addition to being a cop watcher, Watkins and his wife Lucero are proud open-carry advocates who’ve been targeted by Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America for lawfully carrying long arms into supermarkets.

Watkins spoke at length to CW 33 about the arrest Saturday night, maintaining that he did nothing wrong.

“I was following the orders of the police officer that was telling me to move backwards and at that time, that`s when the police officer from behind me, came in with his car and almost hit me and my wife. And shortly after that I was arrested,” said Watkins.

More @ Guns America

5 comments:

  1. I must be honest here there are two points with which I have some personal conflict. The first is some of the clowns and the open carry laws. If you want to open carry then buy a 45 or 357 a nice holster and wear it proudly. If however you want to walk around a Sears with an AK-47 or AR-15 you are a moron. Forest Gump said it best, “Stupid is as stupid does.” And for god’s sake if you want to open carry look like a responsible adult. Do not walk around in army camo or worse yet like some holdover from a “death metal” concert. Here is the bottom line I do not know you. I have to make a decision about the security of my family and me. If I see someone in a nice shirt, blue jeans and boots with a holster and a gun I hardly give them a second look. If however, I see someone in a black shirt with a death clown face on the front, camo pants and hat and some grass stained sneakers carrying an AK-47 you look like a threat. YES, I AM A BIGOT AND PROFILE WITH MY FAMILY’S SAFETY. If you look like a threat I will treat you like one. So pull your pants up look like an adult and have a good day.

    The second one is the filming of police. If the police were not out of control assholes my decision would be a bit easier. In the accompanying article they said, “The group, which says it routinely follows and films police officers on duty, aims to hold police accountable for their actions.”

    The police are out of control on stopping people from filming them. However, I do have a slight problem with a group “following” them. A fine line to be sure but even with the thugs they are fast becoming I am not sure I approve of some group stalking the police to film them. It is one thing if the people there are stopped it is another if some group is following them.

    Then we go back to the first point I made about open carry it also said,” In addition to being a cop watcher, Watkins and his wife Lucero are proud open-carry advocates.” The article does not say if they were exercising their right to carry or not but that brings in a completely new set of issues. They are well known by the police as both “cop watchers” and open carry,” advocates I am sure. I struggle here to have empathy for the police but as a cop I would be uncomfortable being stalked and filmed by an armed person. I am not saying anything the watchers did was wrong, illegal or even threatening but for me it is getting over a line. Then I go back to feeling the police deserve everything they are getting for acting like such ass-hats.

    Badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some good thoughts and I only CCW as I'm not interested in other people knowing that I am armed.

      Delete
    2. I have to agree suprise is a wonderful thing.

      Badger

      Delete
  2. I agree with Badger. Great overview. Who in the heck would want someone
    stalking them; and that's what it amounts to, stalking.

    ReplyDelete