Monday, March 26, 2018

Stony Creek and Virginia History

 

On an abnormally warm early Spring day, I took a 150 mile motorcycle ride from Portsmouth to Stony Creek, Virginia. It is where my Great Great Grandpa, Randolph Page, was captured by Federal Forces in 1864. He rode with the SC 6th Insurgent Cavalry (Aka: the Dixie Raiders). His unit fought in nearly every major engagement in Virginia from 1862, until the surrender.

Before going to Stony Creek I had no idea of the importance of the place and presumed that it was just an outlier to the defense of Petersburg. I learned in talking to some old timers there that battle of Stony Creek contributed to the ultimate collapse of Gen. Lee’s entrenched defenses at Petersburg and forced Lee’s hasty retreat towards Appomattox.

2 comments:

  1. To me, the war between the states is a very important part of American history because its tells me a lot more about the USA than the Constitution or any other part of USA history. To erase it means to erase half of the core principles of the USA.

    ReplyDelete