Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Military Wants to Put All Its Eggs in One Cloud

Via Billy

Military Wants to Put All Its Eggs in One Cloud

I sometimes wonder what my Alexa thinks of me.

She turns on and off lights early in the morning and late at night for me – and other times for my kids. Sometimes, she plays some old Eric Clapton for Dad. Other times, it’s “Glee” and Katie Perry for them.

Obviously, Alexa is a machine and does not care how my family uses it. But the Department of Defense is another matter.

It is on the verge of spending $10 billion over the next 10 years to, in essence, buy one big Alexa for the entire military. The Pentagon describes the product it seeks to buy not as the Mother of All Alexas but as a “centralized data lake” for the military’s 3.4 million users and 4 million devices.

More @ Townhall

2 comments:

  1. Stupidest Idea EVER! It is like those in charge want to fail. In college, I studied computers and programming in 1970. I have been a geek since before that word existed. The more developed technology becomes the easier it is to hack into or destroy. In 1970, you could not hack into a computer. Why? They were not connected to anything. Simple logic, if you do not have a port into the computer, it is impossible to hack in.

    Allowing a device to control your computer is a recipe for disaster. Being honest, I do not hack anymore, but there was a time I did. If you have an access point, I can promise it can be hacked. Putting all your information on a single source makes it a high value target to hack. It guarantees everyone wants in and they will get in. The best solution is to spread data out to hundreds or thousands of locations. No one location is that valuable unless you know what is there. But with everything at one location, the hacker knows what they want is there.

    If I was a betting man, I’d say less that six months after completion it will have been breached. The breach will be classified because too many jobs are on the line. But within probably nine months every important document or bit of information will have been stolen.

    Badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. https://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2018/09/comment-on-military-wants-to-put-all.html

      Delete