Sunday, February 10, 2019

NC Rep. Walter Jones, Ron Paul Republican dies at age 76




Because I did not do my job then, I helped kill 4,000 Americans, and I will go to my grave regretting that." (A Southern Gentleman.)
Longtime Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.), who came to Congress in the Republican revolution of 1994 and later became an independent voice and critic of the war in Iraq, died Sunday at the age of 76.

Jones, who hadn’t voted since September because of illness, entered hospice care in January after breaking his hip.

A special election will be held later this year to fill his seat.

He was best known as a critic of the U.S. war in Iraq, a military engagement he initially championed.

More @ The Hill

3 comments:

  1. Jones did a few good things in Congress, but he only became a Republican after running, and losing, as a Democrat. As a Republican he more often than not voted with the Democrats. I wasn't impressed with the Republican challengers to Jones last fall, so I really hope some more-qualified people decide to run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't even remember who ran. Also, I have never seen the cause of his death, have you?

      Delete
    2. I don't think the cause of death has been announced. I assume it was liver or pancreatic cancer since the end came suddenly and he was in hospice. I doubt he would have run for office last fall if he knew he was sick.

      Delete