Wednesday, October 21, 2020

"A yankee writing about seeing Confederate prisoners of war at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1863 "

 Via Susan Lee


"Saw a squad of live secesh today at Camp Curtin. As a general thing they are healthy, strong, tough looking. Their physical appearance is excellent. They have a dogged and sullen look, and what is more they are determined men. Their torn and tattered garments are no disgrace to them. As I stood looking at them, noting their scowling eyes, and their utter indifference to the insults that I am sorry to say were cast upon them. I wished our Union Soldiers were as heroic as they are."

5 comments:

  1. " I wished our Union Soldiers were as heroic as they are."
    And they still wish their men were! (joking) I've met some squared away Patriots from up north in the last year or two. I even went above the Mason-Dixon line to visit.
    I changed my shoes when I got back to Virginia. :-)
    Brock, hope you are healing well.
    Best Regards,
    Red in OleVirginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed my shoes when I got back to Virginia. :-)

      Damn,you mean they didn't burn completely off.....?:) & I'm getting there. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. It makes my heart glad to see this photo and read of our family history.

    These are my favorite kind of posts.

    Thank you very much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete