Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rifle optics ... what you "see," and what you don't "see"

Via Theo Spark

to the rifle range, to see how my new load for my model 98 mauser in 7mm remington magnum is going to shoot at longer ranges. for years i have shot a standard load consisting of a 175 grain nosler partition at about 2900 fps, +/- 25 fps or so, from my model 70 winchester. the new load for the mauser is a 130 grain sierra matchking (bthp) at a little over 3100 fps or so, in the winter weather.

speaking of which, it was about 34 degrees f. when i got to the range, low dark clouds & little light, a couple inches of new snow on the ground, and a steady wind of 5 miles an hour or so from the south. i was pretty bundled up, underwear, wool shirt & sweater and duck parka, but even so i wasn't "toasty" until i got a balaclava over my mouth and neck, and under my fleece beanie. then, i could go a while with my gloves off, but, without it, my hands cooled almost as soon as the gloves came off.

MORE

2 comments:

  1. sirs:

    thanks for the excerpt and link. it is much appreciated.

    john jay
    http://wintersoldier2008.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete