Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The M1 Carbine


Loved my M2 which has been at the bottom of a well in Vietnam for 38 years.


Perhaps not surprisingly, few firearms have been designed by murderers serving prison sentences. Of those few,  fewer still are adopted by the U.S. Military as a major war fighting tool. David M. Williams, a convicted murderer and former moonshiner redesigned a prototype from Winchester which became the M1 Carbine.

Episode 5 – Season 3.
Air Times on Outdoor Channel: 07-31-13 at 8:00PM | 07-31-13 at 11:00PM | 08-01-13 at 2:00AM. All times ET.

8 comments:

  1. Recently saw Carbine Williams with Jimmy Stewart. Good movie! Would recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I saw that as a child.

      Delete
    2. It was recently on TCM which is about the only channel on in our house. Yes we are a little bit old fashioned.

      Delete
    3. That's about all I watch and maybe an hour from midnight on.

      Delete
  2. Both of my grandpaws fought in WWII and both were issued the M1 carbine. One jumped into France on D-day +1 and the other fought in north africa, Italy and India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you are more than proud of them as well you should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very proud of them. They really were American heroes in my opinion. Just kids at the time, and both were dirt poor. That generation showed us all what men were meant to be, and still can be if allowed.

      I really like your blog by the way, keep up the good work!

      Delete