Monday, November 11, 2013

Clerk who used gun to thwart armed robbery fired from job

 Clerk fired for using gun to stop armed robbery

The assistant manager of a convenience store who pulled a gun and shot at an armed robber Saturday has been fired.

Johnny Jarriel Jr. was the manager on duty last Saturday morning when an armed robber approached him the office of the Circle K store at 5785 West Stewart’s Mill Road. Store officials declined comment Thursday, but the separation notice given to Jarriel lists "Possession/Use of a weapon on company property" as the reason for his termination.


Jarriel said he has a state permit to carry a concealed weapon. He said that before he used the gun to shoot three times at a crazed gunman who was robbing the store, his manager knew he carried the gun at work and never said a word. Now that he had to use it to try to protect himself as well as another employee and two customers, he finds himself unemployed after more than three years on the job at Circle K.

"I don't want anyone saying I think I'm some kind of hero or something, but think about it," Jarriel said. "I had a glassy-eyed man talking crazy sneak up on me, pepper spray me and threaten to kill me and everyone in the store. All I did was try to save my life and the lives of the three other people who were in the store. He had already said he would kill me and I had no idea what he would do if we got out into the store. He had already shown he was willing to do anything."

No comments:

Post a Comment