As promised here is August 1, 2020 Newsletter. I planned to submit this newsletter as a Word Document but currently, the document will not upload so I desire to send it out through regular e-mail so everyone can receive it today. Once I can get the Word Document to open and upload it I will send it to everyone. I first and foremost have been keeping an eye on the hurricane in the South Atlantic and praying that North Carolina will not be affected by this Storm. Below are the main point in which is to be focussed on in August, 2020-December 31, 2020.
1) I have opened on the "Office of the President of the CRAVEN COUNTY BATTLEFIELD PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION for anyone desiring to run for this office, I have decided for the preservation of this organization and the preservation of New Berns Battlefields and Sites I will remain, President, if nobody desires to run for President. If you do desire to run for President please e-mail me so I can get a date/time out to post your story and desire to run for office so our current members and associates and vote.
2) The Current Racial Tensions in the United States stalled the CCBPA from receiving 100% in granted financial funds for three Fort Dixie signs. The donors also decided since Fort Dixie has been completely bulldozed they will not currently finance anything on signs where Fort Dixie was but 50% on matching funds. In September the donors who desire to remain anonymous will reconsider 100%.
3) Evans Mill Blockhouse: I have tried several times personally working with the owner of the Evans Mill Blockhouse and have not received any positive feedback on a change in Easements or allowing the CCBPA to purchase the Easement to ensure it is always held. It currently is held on an HOA Easement. I desire as many to still see signage and a location for visitors to visit this Blockhouse in the future.
4) Fort Croatan, Croatan Station, New Bern Battlefield, Evans Mill Tour: This Tour is scheduled for February 1, 2021, and all sites have been approved. I will send out the itinerary and how you can join the tour and any related cost once I have all the updated details from the owners. Anyone on the tour will have to sign a disclosure of agreement of understanding that if you have injured on any site the owners of the property are not responsible. "The Tour was pushed back due to several owners' concerns over COVID-19. This was a Tour I planned to guide in September.
5) New Bern Battlefield Parcel: This site of nearly over 11 acres is still in the process of being negotiated with the owner between the American Battlefields Trust and the owner. Once further information is available it will be sent out to everyone. I sent out a Battlefield Map by Steven Stanley on this site a few months ago. Anyone desiring to see it again please ask me and I'll resend it.
6) Batcheldor's Creek Battlefield Park Plan: This is a long term plan in which is still in the planning process and not expected to have full details until a few months from now. With the help of the SCV in North Carolina, Georgia, and the American Battlefields Trust I believe this can be made a reality.
7) Craven County Fairgrounds: Today the Craven County Fairgrounds contacted me asking to meet with their Representative to start the planned of an approved sign and to go over further details of the grounds in which on March 14, 1862, a large portion of the Battle of New Bern was fought. I want to thank the Fairgrounds for their appreciation of New Bern's history and the Battle of New Bern.
8) Trophy Gun and the Site of the First Shot of the Battle of New Bern: Months back I posted a Newsletter on information about the Trophy Gun that Mike Hitt has researched and traced to Kennesaw Mountain National Military Park where it sits today. This Cannon was the Cannon that fired the first shot of the Battle of New Bern under Latham's Battery whom Lt, Wheeler was in charge of this particular Gun. I desire to see a sign in the future placed off Old Cherry Point Road where this occurred and have further information provided on the Trophy Gun for the public.
9) Fort Thompson Line: The line in which runs over a mile is currently being sited for Confederate Regimental Markers to be placed along with the remains of this line that marks where each Confederate Regiment on March 14, 1862, was in place at the time of the opening of the Battle. The signs have already been approved for purchase and the money is available currently. The CCBPA has to have approval from all owners and be sure the signs would be protected. Time and date for sign placements along the Fort Thompson Line are desired for mid-2021. With this year's Racial Riots and we are desiring to allow everything to settle down before we invest in this so nothing is damaged.
" THE CRAVEN COUNTY BATTLEFIELD PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION IS IN NEED OF VOLUNTEERS AT ALL LEVELS. I PERSONALLY AM OVERWHELMED IN THIS WORK BUT LOVE IT WAY TO MUCH TO STOP. I DO NOT BELIEVE NEW BERN'S HISTORY DESERVES TO BE FORGOTTEN AND JUST PUT TO THE SIDE. I AM ASKING ANYONE AVAILABLE, WILLING TO HELP IN ANYWAY TO UTILIZE YOUR SKILLS AT THE SMALLEST OR LARGEST LEVELS FOR THE BENEFIT OF NEW BERN'S BATTLEFIELD AND SITES PRESERVATION TO PLEASE CONTACT ME BVY E-MAIL, PHONE. THE MORE VOLUNTEER'S AND HELP WE AT THE CCBPA CAN OBTAIN THE FASTER WE CAN PRESERVE AND HAVE A WEBSITE UP IN NO TIME. I UNDERSTAND EVERYBODY HAS FAMILY'S TO SUPPORT AND I PERSONALLY MYSELF PLACE GOD, AND FAMILY BEFORE ANYTHING AND ANYBODY. NEVER ALLOW ANYTHING TO COME BEFORE THAT. I DESIRE FOR THE CURRENT CITIZENS, TOURIST AND THE FUTURE OF THIS COUNTRY TO ONE DAY BE ABLE TO SEE NEW BERN'S HISTORY THROUGH SIGNS, PRESERVED LAND AND MORE BOOKS FOCUSSED ON THE BATTLES AND CAMPAIGNS. I KNOW, TRUST AND BELIEVE IN WHAT WE ARE DOING AND THAT ARE AMBITION WILL PROVIDE ALL IN WHICH WE DESIRE."
God Bless you all and stay safe, I will be sending out the original Newsletter asap. Thank you for your patience.
Timothy Lee Norman
CRAVEN COUNTY BATTLEFIELD PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION, President