Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Mia Love victory speech



11:24 am - GOP Superstar Mia Love Refuses To be Tokenized By CNN

Mia Love is the first Republican black woman elected to Congress but that has nothing to do with who she is or how she wants to be identified. During an appearance on race-obsessed CNN this morning, Love shut down hosts Rick Berman and Michaela Pereira's attempt to make her race and gender an issue.  

Love: Race and gender had nothing to do with [my win]. Principles had everything to do with it. Utah values had everything to do with it. 

Pereira: I want to challenge you on one point. This isn't about dividing on issues of race but ensuring everyone has a fair shot at a seat at the table.

Love: You have to understand that [in my district] there are very few black residents. I wasn't elected because of the color of my skin. I wasn't elected because of my gender. I was elected because of the solutions I put forward and my promise to run an issues-oriented campaign, That's what resonated.  

Love wants to be known for her character and ideas, not skin color and gender. 

What a concept -- a concept CNN couldn't grasp with Velcro gloves dipped in super glue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment