Friday, August 21, 2015

Digging For Southern Roots


                                                              Mosby Monument 






"Mosby Country" Friends

John Singleton Mosby's Revenge

Mosby Quotes




*****************************  
 Mosby colorized

With all due apologies to Samuel Clemens, I like to think of myself as a Connecticut Confederate. Therefore, I was delighted to find recently that, in addition to being a self-made devotee of the “Lost Cause” and an ardent admirer of the South in general, I also have at least two actual ancestors who served gallantly in the Confederate Army throughout the War Between the States.

To backtrack a bit, however, my initial interest in the War for Southern Independence began about eighty years ago, even though I must confess I did not refer to the War by that name at the time. It all started when my grandfather gave me one of his early school books, an original copy of “American History Stories” by Dr. Mara Louise Pratt, printed by the Educational Publishing Company of Boston in 1891. While I found the stories fascinating, the book, of course, presented the conflict from an entirely Yankee perspective, and it was not until after World War Two when I landed in Augusta, Georgia, following a tour of Occupation duty in Tokyo, Japan, and then attended the University of Georgia, that I discovered just how much of what I had been taught about the “Civil War” had to be relearned.

Since then I have been a complete convert to the Confederacy, as well as continuing an abiding interest in all aspects of the War Between the States. I might toss in the fact that after moving to New York State from Georgia in the mid-1950s, I had the honor of participating in a number of North-South Skirmishes there as a member of the Clinch Rifles of Augusta (Company “A” of the 5th Georgia Infantry Regiment).

No comments:

Post a Comment