Serial no. 2789, .44 caliber, 7 ½-inch barrel with single-line New York address. Blued finish. Fluted cylinder. Blued screws. Case-hardened lever, hammer and 4-screw frame. Recoil shields rebated at bottom for shoulder stock. Blued screws. Frame marked: Colts Patent. Brass triggerguard, the left side stamped: "E". Blued steel backstrap.
One-piece walnut grips. Contained in original dusty rose velvet-lined, partitioned, keyed Colt walnut case together with correct accoutrements for this model, including: fine brass and copper Colts' Patent "Stand of Flags and Cannon" powder flask; Blued two-cavity Colts' Patent .44 caliber bullet mold with integral sprue cutter; unopened and shrink-wrapped Eley japanned cap tin with mottled paper wrap and crisp white paper lid label; original shrink-wrapped pack of .44 caliber skin cartridges; blued "L" shaped nipple wrench, 5 extra nipples and case key.
Sold together with Colt factory letter confirming configuration [type of stocks not listed] and shipment to Peter Williams & Co., Richmond, Va., April 15, 1861 in a shipment of 50 guns. According to page 67 of The Book of Colt Firearms by Sutherland and Wilson,
"Colt's final shipment South was on April 15, 1861-just four days after Fort Sumter had been fired upon and the same day after Colt's efforts were directed at supplying the Union with weapons..."
Condition: Excellent. Retaining approximately 90-95% finish with scattered light wear present. Grips near mint with minor bruises present on butt. Action crisp. Case excellent with minor hairline crack in lid, fading to interior and light wear present. Minor chip to upper right partition wall near hammer location. Accoutrements are all fine to excellent, superb, showing light wear and patina. A nicer ensemble of this type, with these accessories would be difficult to locate.
-- Estimate: $80,000 - $100,000.
More @ Heritage Auctions