Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Danger of Attributing Malice to Stupidity

Via WRSA

http://th966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/TrueTexasRebel/th_1.jpg

I've written on a similar topic before, and it is a little against the grain of popular commentary,  but the quote along the lines of "don't attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity" comes to mind.
 
I had an interesting week, which brought this into focus for me. I wrote before on this blog about the fact that I still serve in the US Army Reserves, which means that I have to be careful about political comments; the best example being the political office of President also being one and the same with Commander in Chief, thus leaving me open to disciplinary action under UCMJ if I was to be too disparaging about the current incumbent. 
 
When I wrote before, it was about my experiences in the US Military and never really coming across anyone or anything in my unit that would suggest we were suddenly about to become bad guys and go and fight the American public That does not mean that I don't believe such a thing could happen, witness my book 'Patriot Dawn: The Resistance Rises' for an example of what I think about that. How about the guy this last weekend, who had an Obama-Biden sticker on his laptop, and happened to be black. Does he really know what this means and where we are potentially going as a country, or is he just an ignorant sheep voting along emotive lines for what he feels is best? 
 
One of the things I want to say is don't just make assumptions that because someone works for the government  or the military, or an agency, that they are the bad guy. We are obviously going in bad directions at top policy levels and there are many who are, or have the potential to be, stooges  But  not all, and life is too complicated to make broad assumptions. 
 
So here are a few things that happened to me recently, that made me question assumptions a little:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment