Tell them Gun Owners oppose "universal" background checks
We realize that you have been receiving several emails from Gun Owners of America in recent days. And while we apologize for filling your inbox so frequently, we hope you realize that we are in an all-out fight to stop Congress from infringing upon our liberties.“Gun-control measures that seemed destined to become law after the school shootings in Newtown, Conn., are in jeopardy amid a fierce lobbying campaign by firearms advocates.”
- The Washington Post, April 1, 2013
Your activism is making a difference, but we need to keep the pressure on!
As so, as we approach “gun control Armageddon” next week, we are faced, not surprisingly, with “sell-outs and rumors of sell-outs.”
But we can conclude that all gun control will die UNLESS Republicans flinch. And this is why, now that anti-gun Senator Chuck Schumer is on the verge of a humiliating defeat, he’s scrambling for some feckless Republican who will help him turn GOP victory into GOP defeat.
Anti-gun columnist Ruth Marcus spoke for Schumer last Wednesday morning when she suggested that, as a desperation measure, anti-gunners might have to drop recordkeeping from the universal registry bill.
But even if ALL recordkeeping were dropped, which is doubtful, background checks would mean that:
- Americans would still have to get the government’s permission to own a firearm from whatever source.
- Americans in rural areas without access to the Internet could be barred from gun ownership.
- The Brady Check system would break down on weekends even more often than it currently does.
- Eight percent of all applicants would still be illegally denied the right to purchase firearms through “false negatives.”
- Schumer would still claim that he “broke the back of the gun lobby.”
- The universal registry bill would still be nothing but a vehicle for consideration of other gun control now - and a platform for gun control demands in the future.
ACTION: Click here to contact your Senators. Demand they support the Paul-Cruz-Lee filibuster and oppose the motion to proceed to any gun control vehicle.
The system will automatically select a pre-written editable response, depending upon whether your Senator is a Republican or Democrat.