Saturday, July 5, 2014

You Make the Call

 

I remember the outrage I felt when I read the first story about a store banning firearms. I still do but I have done a bit more investigating and while I still disagree I am a bit more understanding. Also, as I look into these incidents I think there is something more behind the scenes in play.

I grew up with guns and I love shooting. However if I walked into Target and saw a group of guys with AKs and ARs I would probably just turn around and exit. However, if I saw the same group of guys with 45s holstered at their waist I’d think nothing of it. Perception is everything and it seems in every one of these instances they are not carrying hunting rifles but an “assault” rifle to push a button. I can be at the range, have a thousand guns around, and never think twice. Someone carrying a rifle at Sears I have to think twice. Is this just a bunch of yahoos doing the wrong thing for the right reason? Perhaps there is a reason and not the one on which everyone focuses. What if they are really there to damage the gun rights movement.

2 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer in our right to keep and bear arms, however I also strongly believe that private property owners have every right to set conditions for entry onto their premises. I know I certainly have conditions for anyone wanting to enter my home (through the front door after given permission to enter, and I prefer to be the only one armed in my own home, unless I know you really well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I read somewhere that there are businesses that put these signs up on advice from their lawyers as they would be sued if say a drunk customer got a gun from a legal CCW and shot someone, though I'm not sure the sign would prevent a suit.

      Delete