Tuesday, November 28, 2017

How much land does the federal government “own” in our Western states?

Via Billy


There was an article on the Zero Hedge website back on last June 27th, written by Michael Snyder, which had originally appeared on the Economic Collapse blog. It was about how much land the federal government “owns” in our Western states. From the looks of the map that appeared with the article they “own” almost half ot it. The article noted that: “Today, the feds control approximately  640 million acres of land, and after decades of very poor management, many are calling on the states to take a larger role. This is particularly true in the 11 western states where the federal government collectively  owns 47 percent of all the land.”

Yep, you read that figure right–47 percent of it all. For instance, in Nevada, the feds “own” 84% of all the land in the state.  That leaves 16% of the state for ordinary folks. The feds “own” 64% of Utah, 61% of both Idaho and Alaska and 52% of Oregon. By the time you get to Wyoming the feds only “own” a measly 48% of the state. What a comedown from Nevada that must be for them!


  1. You can camp on BLM land. It belongs to all of us. Do you think for a second if they sold it that citizens would be able to use it or cross it? The federal government owns the land. Not the ranchers, not the Chinese, not billionaires. Thus it is OUR land.

    1. States could own land not the federal government unless it was bought *legally from the states.



  2. I hope this is true:
    The fed gov would not have this stolen land if not for the
    states, probably being strong armed. The fed gov has become
    a problem. over-reaching and narcissistic and tyrants like
    old Abe and Northern Aggression.

    1. Precisely and great news! (Not that they ever should have been arrested in the first place) Thanks.