Thursday, June 11, 2015

Southerners are meaner than Yankees, research shows

Via Billy



You know Southerners. We're all nice, sweet and full of good manners and grits.

Well, maybe not.

Some recent research done as part of the World Economic Forum showed how segments of the country – namely North and South – respond differently to insults. The research showed that an insult (in this case having someone bump into someone in a hallway and calling them names) resulted in a surge in hormones from those from the South but not from the North.

Researchers attributed this to the "culture of honor" that permeates the Southern U.S.
"Southerners' heightened physiological responses and comparatively aggressive behavior after being insulted provide some evidence that culture shapes how people think and how they interact in society," the study noted.

Or, we've just been in a very bad mood for 49 150years.

8 comments:

  1. "Got to burn my boots, they touched Yankee soil"

    hahaha-great stuff

    Billdave

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Gotta burn my boots" My favorite cartoon. I send it to Miss Phyllis in Joisey about ever 2 or 3 months.
    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. people bump into you and call you names all the time up north. you get numb to it after a while and it becomes no big thing. but here in the south, where we have the good manners to mind that we don't bump into anybody, you can usually immediately tell if the person that bumps into you, on occasion, is from the north or south. a southerner will effusively apologize, explain why he's there, what he's been doing for the past few hours, explain where he's from and a brief background on his relatives that might also be in the area. a northerner will briefly employ a euphuism for your private parts in summarily dismissing the incident as entirely your fault. usually. hence, that survey is culturally skewed. that world economic forum is probably headquartered deep in yankee territory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one! :) Dixie and I were just talking to a black girl who had returned to Tarboro after working in NYC and the tales she told! From the food to the lack of common courtesy, boy did she lay it out. "I've from Tarboro, everybody says hi to everyone and when I would say so they would look at me like I was insane." Rude, crude and unattractive as my mother would say. She mentioned someone took her out to a supposedly Southern restaurant and she stated, "where's the fatback, where's the grease, this stuff won't give me a heart attack?!" She was actually quite slim. :)

      Delete
  4. What is it they say? Rather be pissed off, than pissed on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and reminds me of my friend Bazz, so I'll post one of his.

      Delete